Our Parish History

Some major milestones in our parish history

1864: The Opening of St Augustine’s, Myers Flat; also used as a school.

1866: A meeting of ‘gentlemen’ at the Johnson’s Reef Hotel, California Gully, to discuss building a Catholic Church in Eaglehawk.

1868: Laying of the foundation stone – Reverend Dean Backhaus.

1869: Opening of St Liborius Church by the Right Reverend Dr Gould, Bishop of Melbourne; parish was administered from St Kilian’s.

1904: Laying of the foundation stone for the Parish Hall, and the school was begun. Mercy Sisters travelled out from Bendigo.

1917: St Liborius, Eaglehawk became a parish in its own right; Fr E.J. Rooney was first Parish Priest. Properties at 386 and 388 Eaglehawk Road (then known as Mt Korong Road) were purchased to be used as a presbytery and a convent respectively.

1920: Sisters of St Joseph staffed the school and lived in the convent.

1954: The Order of Friars Minor came to look after the parish.

1978: The Sisters of St Joseph withdrew from the parish and the first lay Principal was appointed.

1979: Raywood and District was brought into the parish.

1982: Two new classrooms were built.

1994: Refurbishing of Administration Area of School and Staff Rooms and the two new second-story classrooms and a glass vault erected over courtyard.

1999: The Franciscan Friars withdrew from the parish and a Diocesan Priest was appointed.

2004: New developments were begun: relocating of tennis courts, parish centre, presbytery and building of four new classrooms.

2005: The official opening of the St. Liborius Parish Centre.

2011: The opening of the new Liborius Centre.